I will be brief on this subject
And I will not waste your time going into medical definitions of “fear.”
Neither will I bother you about types of fears.
We all know what it means to be afraid or scared of something, so let’s jettison all jargons about fears.
Fear is fear.
And I say to you, “Fear Not!”
Let me start by quoting Zig Ziglar. He said FEAR could be seen as:
“Forget Everything And Run or Face Everything And Rise – The Choice is Yours.”
That statement says it all.
The choice is yours to make on the issue of fear.
You either confront your fears and become a winner, or chicken out and become a failure.
Many people have beautiful dreams, but fear will never allow them to pursue them.
Some intend to start their own businesses, but they’re scared of failure so they dump their ideas.
- A woman is being cheated but she’s scared of bringing up the issue, so she continues to suffer in silence.
- A subordinate is not happy with the way he’s being treated by his boss, but he’s afraid of raising the issue for fear of being fired.
- A boss is not pleased with her subordinate’s attitudes, but she’s afraid of confronting him.
There are many examples to cite.
Sorry if I’m being hard on you; you will remain a slave for as long as you fail to face your fears.
Those who are afraid will continue to run from reality. And as you run from reality, you go deeper into obscurity.
Good things don’t happen in darkness, my dear friend.
You have to come out.
You have to voice out.
To be great in life, you must rise above your fears. You must believe in yourself.
By the way, why do people fear so much?
- We fear because we don’t want to fail.
- We are scared that if we fail, others would regard us as a failure.
- We are afraid that people will reject us if we don’t succeed, so we think that the best thing to do is avoid rather than attempt.
Look for any successful person around you and find out how he was able to make it. You will discover that he took up the courage to face his fear at a point, and he became free.
Get this right: The fact that you fail in a venture does not mean that you are a failure. It is the venture that failed; you are not a failure!
You must also constitute the habit of accepting 100% responsibility for whatever happens in your life. You have to stop living other people’s life.
- It is your life, not your friends’.
- It is your life, not your parents’
- It is your life, not your employer’s.
You have the right to choose how to live your life. You have the power to decide on what course you want to chart for your life’s ship. That’s the hallmark of adulthood. You cannot live as a child forever.
Even children have the right to choose; we only guide them as parents because that is one of our responsibilities.
Look, most of what we fear in life doesn’t ever happen. I’m sure you must have experienced this in the past.
- Think about the journey you were so scared of taking, but you arrived safely.
- Think about the examination you thought you might fail, but you got a distinction.
- Remember the request you thought would never be granted, but you got twice of what you asked for.
Imagine what would have happened if you didn’t make those moves? Think about the opposites of your bravery.
Of course, you would have regretted that you didn’t act.
Fear breeds regrets at the end.
Bear in mind that fears are nothing other than false images we create in our mind. Those images are not real. We cook them up!
- Is there any project you’re so scared of starting? Go into it NOW.
- Is there a request you’re afraid of making? Pick up the phone NOW.
- Is there a complaint you don’t have the courage to lodge? Stand up NOW.
Make the move.
Don’t sacrifice your freedom.
Remove yourself from the bondage of fear.
As a tennis champion commented on TV some days ago, “…career is short, life itself is very short.” I’m sure you don’t want to spend the rest of your life in the shadow of fear. Wake up and start living a life of freedom and fulfillment.
Heed Anthony Robbins’s advice: Awaken the giant within you.
You’re a giant.
You’re more than you think you are.
You can achieve more than the limit you’ve set for yourself.
Conquer your fears, and you will conquer the world.
May success be yours!